Huw Irranca-Davies MS reminds people to ‘Keep Electrically Safe’ this Christmas

During the busy festive season, we decorate the house with bright lights, cook big meals and enjoy new electrical gadgets, both Christmas gifts and sale bargains.

Huw Irranca-Davies MS, has today reminded constituents in Ogmore about the need to ensure electrical safety at Christmas and throughout the rest of the year too.

Mr Irranca-Davies said “I back Electrical Safety First’s top tips for keeping my constituents safe when they are using electricity across the Christmas period. Even though we should think electrical safety throughout the year, we need to be extra careful at Christmas.  As it is, there is often so much going on, it’s easy to get distracted. Taking simple steps can help prevent fires in homes across Ogmore.

Electrical Safety First has put together some simple tips to help keep you safe:

  • Even Christmas lights need a break – switch them off when you’re not there to enjoy them.
  • Don’t get distracted when you’re cooking Christmas dinner – with half of house fires starting in the kitchen, it’s more than the turkey that’s at risk of burning.
  • Don’t overload sockets and try to avoid the use of extension leads or adaptors.
  • If you’ve got a new electrical gadget for Christmas that needs charging, don’t rely on a cheap, unbranded charger or leave it charging unattended.
  • Make sure you buy your presents and your sale bargains from retailers you trust – remember, if that bargain looks too good to be true, then it probably is!

To find out more about staying safe during the festive season, visit:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *